At our grandma’s farm, she always had an abundance of raspberries and rhubarb during the summer. After a long day of working outside, we’d all enjoy a bowl of vanilla ice cream with her sweetened raspberries on top. Oh, the memories! I got to thinking, why not mix the two together and today I have my new obsession, rhubarb raspberry dessert sauce!
Other Uses for Rhubarb Raspberry Dessert Sauce
We primarily enjoy this sauce over vanilla ice cream, but we have also used this sauce on slices of pound cake, plain cheesecake, pancakes (with whipped cream), shortcakes (in place of strawberries), or just a spoonful by itself. Sometimes I think we overcomplicate simple desserts. My mom tells me that my grandpa used to enjoy rhubarb sauce all summer long and would just eat a small bowl of it by itself! Still, my favorite use for this sauce is over ice cream.
My recipe will produce just less than 2 cups of sauce. This is perfect for storing in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. You can adjust this recipe quantity up or down easily to fit your sauce-consuming needs
You may use either fresh or frozen berries and rhubarb. You also may want to add more sugar to your sauce depending on the tartness of your berries or rhubarb.
If you’re looking for more rhubarb recipes, previously I shared my rhubarb bars and my strawberry rhubarb lemonade slush.
If you’re here for the rhubarb raspberry sauce, here you go…
Rhubarb Raspberry Dessert Sauce
- 1 c. sliced rhubarb (fresh or frozen) heaping
- ⅔ c. raspberries (fresh or frozen
- ¾ c. granulated sugar
- Add all the ingredients to a small saucepan and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- With a stick blender, blend the fruit so the larger pieces of fruit are mashed up a bit.
- Cook for an additional 10 minutes or until the sauce is at your desired consistency.
- Let the sauce cool slightly before using it on dessert.
- Store leftover sauce covered in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
If you tried this dessert sauce, I’d love to hear your thoughts or favorite ways to enjoy it!!
5 thoughts on “Delicious Rhubarb Raspberry Dessert Sauce”