These yummy spiced molasses cookies are to-die-for. They are the perfect plenty of cinnamon and molasses, and they are chewy.
I confess that we put these cookies in an airtight container in the freezer to save for our cookie tray as we get closer to Christmastime. The cookies magically disappeared. Suffice it to say; they are awesome straight out of the freezer.
The recipe works with shortening or butter, but I think shortening is the best option. If you go the shortening route, I suggest Palm Oil Shortening.
A couple of notes before you get started…
- You will want to make sure the dough is chilled in the fridge for at least 8 hours (or overnight).
- The cookie dough is forgiving, and you can add flour for rolling without the texture or consistency being affected.
- These cookies do not hold their shape as well as traditional roll-out sugar cookies when baking, so it’s best to cut them out in circles or scoop them into balls by the tablespoon and press them down.
- You can spray your baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray, line your baking sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- These cookies do not need frosting, but you can also frost them if you prefer (we prefer them without frosting)
Enough of the jibber-jabber, here is the recipe for your Christmas baking pleasure!