These tasty little gems are so delicious and not overly sweet. For my kids and Mark, I started adding a very thin almond & sugar frosting/glaze to them and sprinkles. We have a collaborated cookie on our hands here. You may also want to add slivered almonds as I have on some.
Before you get busy baking, make sure you have a cookie press on hand for these.
My cookie press is OLD. I’ve had it for years and it works wonderfully.
If you are looking for this gun-style press, I recommend this press from Amazon.
Previously, I had the type of press that your turn a crank to press the cookie dough out. Those do not work nearly as well in my opinion. It is much harder to get the right amount of dough out and there are flimsy prongs on the bottom that get bent easily.
Trust me, go for the gun-style press.
Now for my frosted spritz cookie recipe…
Frosted Spritz Butter Cookie Recipe
- 1 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of water
- sprinkles or slivered almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, cream butter, powdered sugar, and salt until light and fluffy.
- Beat in egg and extracts. Gradually mix the flour into the creamed mixture.
- With your cookie press, press dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet, adjusting your dough amount as needed.
- Bake for 6 to 8 minutes, making sure you do not let them brown.
- Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- Mix powdered sugar and enough water for your preferred glaze/frosting consistency.
- Glaze and decorate as desired.
- Store in an airtight container.