I realize we are getting out of soup-eating weather but I guarantee, you won’t regret making this Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe!
I’ve been making this soup for over 15 years and started making it when I first read Eat Fat Lose Fat. A few changes to the original recipe and it suits us just right now. One change I made to the Thai Coconut Chicken Soup recipe is to omit the chili flakes from the soup pot since I have younger children eating it.
Also, instead of chili flakes, we use this Chili Garlic Sauce.
Also, let me say that this fish sauce is a must. Take my word for it, do NOT skip the fish sauce.
The fish sauce was in the original recipe but up until this past winter, I always used 1 tsp of salt instead. Oh, this makes difference! Find fish sauce if you can!
Lastly, we serve this soup with a bit of steamed rice to fill the bellies and I double this recipe for our family of 6.
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1/2 medium onion chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cup chopped uncooked chicken breasts
- 1 can whole coconut milk (not light)
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar (we love coconut sugar)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves (fresh is best)
- garlic pepper sauce or red chili flakes
- Sauté onion and garlic in coconut oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat until translucent
- Add uncooked chicken, chicken stock, coconut milk, and all seasonings except garlic pepper sauce and basil.
- Simmer about 15 minutes, reduce heat if it starts to boil.
- Top each bowl of soup with basil and garlic pepper sauce.