I realize we are getting out of soup-eating weather but I guarantee, you won’t regret making this Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe!
I originally made this soup almost 10 years ago when I first read Eat Fat Lose Fat. I’ve made just a few changes to the original recipe and it suits us just right now. One change I made is to not add the chili flakes to the soup pot since I have younger children eating it. Plus instead of chili flakes, we use this….
Also let me say that this fish sauce is a must…
The fish sauce was in the original recipe but up until this past winter, I always used 1 tsp of salt instead. Oh this makes difference! Find fish sauce if you can!
Lastly, we serve this soup with a bit of steamed rice to fill the bellies and I double this recipe for our family of 6.
Thai Coconut Chicken Soup Recipe
Save to BigOven
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 cup chopped uncooked chicken breasts
- 1 can whole coconut milk, (not light)
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar, (we love coconut sugar)
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, (fresh is best)
- garlic pepper sauce (or red chili flakes)
- Sauté onion and garlic in coconut oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat until translucent
- Add uncooked chicken, chicken stock, coconut milk, and all seasonings except garlic pepper sauce and basil.
- Simmer about 15 minutes, reduce heat if it starts to boil.
- Top each bowl of soup with basil and garlic pepper sauce.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
© 2021 Copyright The New Lighter Life