This Napa Cabbage Ramen Salad is a favorite with our family! It has sweet/salty caramelized crunchies that you sprinkle on top. I’ve brought this to countless get-togethers and it’s a complete hit.
You may want to half this recipe as it makes quite a bit of salad. My preference is to make the full salad and keep all the elements of the salad separate until ready to serve. That way I can combine the recipe as I go and always have a fresh salad.
Before I get into the recipe though, I wanted to show you how I cut up my cabbage.
How to Cut Cabbage for Napa Cabbage Ramen Salad
Cut the base off Napa Cabbage Head.
2. Remove outer leaves that are damaged or wilted.
3. Wash cabbage.
4. Cut cabbage head in half, length-wise.
5. Cut 3 or 4 strips down the length of the cabbage head.
6. Cut thin strips width-wise.
That’s how I cut up my napa cabbage, which is the perfect consistency for my salad
Now the recipe…
Napa Cabbage Ramen Salad
- 1 head napa cabbage
- 6 green onions
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 (3 oz.) pkg ramen noodles, broken
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sugar
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos or Soy Sauce
To Prepare Salad Mix
- Finely slice the head of cabbage; do not chop
- Combine the green onions and cabbage in a large bowl, cover, and refrigerate until ready to serve.
To Make Crunches
- Melt the butter in a non-stick pan.
- Mix the ramen noodles, sesame seeds, and almonds in the pan with melted butter.
- Saute until the mixture starts to lightly brown. Stirring continuously.
- Add sugar to toasted noodle mixture, stirring constantly. Continue to cook until caramelized, about 5 minutes
To Make Dressing
- In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, oil, sugar, & soy sauce.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute.
- Remove the pan from heat and let cool.
Right Before Serving Salad
- Combine dressing, crunchies, and cabbage immediately before serving. Serve right away or the crunchies will get soggy.