This Napa Cabbage Salad is a favorite. It is so yummy! In fact that one month I made it every week, multiple times.
Oh it hits the spot!
There are all sorts of Napa Cabbage Salads, but this one is different because the Crunchies are sweet and caramelized.
Before I get into the recipe though, I wanted to show you how I cut up my cabbage.
1. Cut base off Napa Cabbage Head.
2. Remove outer leaves that are damaged or wilted.
3. Wash cabbage, (shhh – I forgot and we ate dirty cabbage – any guests I’ve given this to, it’s ALWAYS been washed – promise).
4. Cut cabbage head in half, length-wise.
5. Cut 3 or 4 strips down the length of the cabbage head.
6. Cut thin strips width-wise.
That’s how I cut up my napa cabbage.
Now the recipe…
Napa Cabbage Salad ~ With Sweet Crunchies
- 1 head napa cabbage
- 6 green onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (3 oz) pkg ramen noodles, broken
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- sunflower seeds (optional)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Finely slice the head of cabbage; do not chop. Combine the green onions and cabbage in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To make the crunchies: Melt the butter in a non-stick pan. Mix the ramen noodles, sesame seeds, and almonds in the pan with the melted butter. Saute until the mixture starts to lightly brown. Stirring continuously, add sugar and cook until caramelized.
- To make the dressing: In a small saucepan, heat vinegar, oil, sugar, & soy sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil, let boil for 1 minute. Remove the pan from heat and let cool.
- Combine dressing, crunchies, and cabbage immediately before serving. Serve right away or the crunchies will get soggy.
This salad does not refrigerate well or keep. That said, I like to mix little portions of this salad at time.
I also have a confession to make, My salad above doesn’t have green onions. Since Mark hates onions, I make it without the onions. I almost bought green onions simply for the photo but I’m all about keeping it real.