Today I’m sharing my Trim Healthy Mama Chicken Carbonara Recipe. It has a hidden protein in it, that you’ll never guess. Cottage cheese.
Traditional pasta carbonara has eggs and pancetta in it. But given the amount of bacon and grease, I changed this up to use cottage cheese. I like to add pan-fried chicken breasts or tenders to get even more protein.
But let’s talk about the pasta…
The Dreamfield Pasta Debate
There has been much debate on whether Dreamfields is really much different than regular pasta.
Apparently, there was even a lawsuit against Dreamfields. In the end, Dreamfields was forced to change its label to remove “low-carb.” I won’t go into all the details but you can read about the lawsuit here.
Still, I will say that we have been using Dreamfields for many years. The flavor is great and it contains prebiotic fiber, which we could always use more of in our diet.
Trim Healthy Mama Chicken Carbonara Sauce
As I said before, traditional carbonara includes an egg mixed with hot pasta and fat from the pancetta.
To up the protein content, I use low-fat cottage cheese instead of egg.
However, I will say that if you prefer a more saucy carbonara, you can add some pasta water back into your cooked carbonara once you’ve melted all your cottage cheese.
It’s been many years since I first shared this recipe back in 2012. Though we no longer follow THM, we still love this pasta dish for our entire family!
With all of that out of the way, let’s get to making some Trim Healthy Mama Chicken Carbonara!
Trim Healthy Mama Chicken Carbonara
- 13.25 oz. box angel hair pasta or spaghetti (reserve pasta water if desired)
- ½ lb. bacon
- 3 4 oz. boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into strips
- 1 tsp. onion powder or ¼ c. sauteed onions
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 c. low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 tsp. basil, dried or 1 tbsp. fresh
- ¼ c. parmesan, cheese grated
- salt & pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan, cook the cut-up bacon. When crispy, remove the bacon but leave the drippings in the pan.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, place the chicken in the same hot frying pan in which you cooked the bacon (that still has the grease).
- While the chicken is frying, sprinkle it with the onion powder (or add diced onions to the pan), basil, salt, & pepper. Add the minced garlic to the pan when the chicken is almost finished frying.
- Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, lower the burner temperature and remove the chicken to a plate.
- By this time, the pasta should be done cooking so drain the water and add the pasta to the large frying pan that is full of all sorts of fried yumminess (the pasta picks up the flavors so this step is important).
- Stir the cottage cheese and previously fried bacon into the HOT pasta and mix well to incorporate.
- If you'd like some more sauce, you can add a bit of pasta water back to your melted cottage cheese pasta mixture.
- You can mix the chicken directly into the pasta (we do) or serve the chicken on top of your bed of carbonara.
- Sprinkle with real parmesan cheese, more fresh basil, and salt and pepper to taste.
Oh, and if you’re looking for another THM-friendly recipe, you should check out my other Trim Healthy Mama Recipes such as french toast, skinny chocolate, peanut butter pie, strawberry lemonade pie, and black bean chocolate chip cookies!
30 thoughts on “THM Chicken Carbonara Recipe ~ Trim Healthy Mama S”
I love bacon. And I love cottage cheese. And I LOVE carbonara!!! I’M SO EXCITED!!! 🙂
Thanks for linking at Trim Healthy Tuesday.
I cannot wait to try this!
I hope you like it Keren!
This sounds deicious and I love how few ingredients there are. Pinning to make soon!
Thank you Marie, I hope you enjoy it. It’s a favorite at our home.
What would a serving size be considered? This was amazing! I made it tonight and my husband loved it!
Yay! I’m glad you guys enjoyed it! We all love it too!
The general rule as far as THM concerned is to not exceed 1/5 of the cooked pasta/serving for Dreamfields. So I’d stick to that as a guideline.
With that in mind, I’d guesstimate the serving size to be 1 to 1 1/2 cups of pasta and 3/4 cup of chicken breast. Hope this helps!
Any idea on the calorie amount?
I’m sorry, but I’m not sure what the calorie count is for this dish.
Had this for dinner. Oh my gosh, it was awesome! The hubby and kids devoured it. This will definitely go into out weekly THM rotation.
So glad you enjoyed it!
This is the second THM meal I’ve made since being on plan and wow, is it good! I used an entire box of pasta, and IMO the pasta is a little too much so there’s not quite enough “sauce”, but we will definitely have this again, just with 1/2-3/4 of a box of pasta. Thank you so much!!
You are welcome! Glad you enjoyed it!
I got to say wow!!! I tried this recipe and it was really awesome! If I wasn’t married my husband would’ve proposed to me after I made it. So easy too 😉 I did make a few minor adjustments because I wanted to make it a little bit healthier although I used all the bacon fat. I cut up red pepper as well as five mushrooms. I added the veggies after cooking the chicken removing it and putting it in the bowl with the bacon. When I was cooking the chicken I reduced it along with half a cup of white wine just to make sure it was tender. I also used parsley along with the basil. A+++
Thank you Stacy! Your additions sound yummy!
Wow!! Wow!! Wow!! This was AMAZING!! My husband and picky 7-year-old daughter loved it. After just a few bites, my daughter asked if she could have seconds! She also asked me to get the ingredients to make it again tomorrow! My husband said, “This is healthy??” I said with the THM plan it is lol. (I double checked this site again too bc I couldn’t believe it either lol). I’m still a newbie with THM so I haven’t really made any on-plan meals. This is definitely a keeper!!
My kiddos really love this meal too!! So glad you guys enjoyed it!
I made this tonight it was amazing. I am only on week one of THM and not sure how this is an S meal but I am definitely going to make it again. It was so delicious. I added a few mushroom and will probably add in some veggies next time.
Holy cow this was good. The husband (a very anti-diet guy) told me this food was “kick a**.” As a newbie to THM, how was this an S? The carb count in the dreamfields pasta is like 40-something per serving. Am I missing something?
So the jury is still out but THM’s stance on the carbs is that the particular ones in Dreamfields are not processed the same way. There is debate about it but if you google it, you’ll be able to read more up on it.
Can’t wait to try this!!!!…but have a question….if I kept this recipe more traditional (keeping the egg sauce), how does that influence the type of meal? -I am still learning difference between S and E and FP.
Hi Rebecca! It would keep it as an S but it would not be as much protein. Definitely doable! 🙂
Would this work w zucchini noodles?
The pasta has gluten, how is that on plan?