I have been making this Sour Cream Chicken for over 15 years! I’m telling you, it’s a winner!! This chicken has been a staple on our family’s menu and I’ve made this innumerable amount of times when we’ve had friends over for dinner.
I first tasted this amazing chicken, at a retreat center our church went to years ago in Texas. The center has since shut down but in their little gift shop, they sold a cookbook with this sour cream chicken recipe in it.
The original recipe called for a can of cream of mushroom soup. But I make my friend, Gwen’s Cream of Mushroom Soup Cubes. They are delicious! I follow Gwen’s recipe and then freeze cream of mushroom soup concentrate in these convenient little trays.
Two of the frozen cubes prepared are enough for 1 can of cream of mushroom. Another excellent recipe I like to use the soup cubes for is my Zucchini Sausage Dressing Casserole.
Hopefully, my suggestion to make homemade cream soup didn’t scare you away from trying this recipe. I promise it still tastes wonderful with a canned cream soup too. We like to eat this chicken over cooked rice and with a salad. The leftovers are delicious as well.
Sour Cream Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless & skinless
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. paprika
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pat dry chicken breasts and place them in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, & paprika.
- Sprinkle and generously coat the chicken breasts with the paprika mixture, using all of the seasonings.
- Cut up the butter into thin slices and place slices over the seasoned chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, checking periodically to remove the chicken when it is almost cooked. I prefer to remove chicken when it is at around 160° at its greatest thickness.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken breasts on a separate plate.
- To the pan, with drippings, add the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Mix thoroughly until a consistent mixture.
- Place chicken back in pan coating each breast in sour cream mixture.
- Top with french-fried onions.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through and the onions are slightly browned.
- Serve over cooked rice.
I’d love to hear if you gave this recipe a try…did you use storebought or homemade cream soup?
2 thoughts on “Sour Cream Chicken – Our Family’s Favorite”
I was wondering where can I get cream of mushroom cubes to make the recipe THM? Do health food stores sell it? Thanks!!
Hi Rachel, I updated the THM portion of the recipe to include another link to Gwen’s homemade mushroom soup cubes recipe. They are something you have to make but so worth it! Waaay better than store-bought and I like that you can make the concentrate cubes, freeze them, and use as needed.