I have been making this Sour Cream Chicken for over 15 years! I’m telling you, it’s a winner!! This chicken has been a staple on our family’s menu and I’ve made this innumerable amount of times when we’ve had friends over for dinner.
I first tasted this amazing chicken, at a retreat center our church went to years ago in Texas. The center has since shut down but in their little gift shop, they sold a cookbook with this sour cream chicken recipe in it.
The original recipe called for a can of cream of mushroom soup. But I make Gwen’s Nest’s Cream of Mushroom Soup Cubes or my Cream of Celery Soup Cubes. Both are delicious! I follow Gwen’s recipe and then freeze cream of mushroom soup concentrate in these convenient little trays.
Two of the frozen cubes prepared are enough for 1 can of cream of mushroom. Another excellent recipe I like to use the soup cubes for is my Zucchini Sausage Dressing Casserole.
Hopefully, my suggestion to make homemade cream soup didn’t scare you away from trying this recipe. I promise it still tastes wonderful with a canned cream soup too. We like to eat this chicken over cooked rice and with a salad. The leftovers are delicious as well.
Sour Cream Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts boneless & skinless
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 ½ tbsp. paprika
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pat dry chicken breasts and place them in a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix together the salt, pepper, & paprika.
- Sprinkle and generously coat the chicken breasts with the paprika mixture, using all of the seasonings.
- Cut up the butter into thin slices and place slices over the seasoned chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes, checking periodically to remove the chicken when it is almost cooked. I prefer to remove chicken when it is at around 160° at its greatest thickness.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place the chicken breasts on a separate plate.
- To the pan, with drippings, add the cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Mix thoroughly until a consistent mixture.
- Place chicken back in pan coating each breast in sour cream mixture.
- Top with french-fried onions.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 20 minutes more, or until chicken is cooked through and the onions are slightly browned.
- Serve over cooked rice.
I’d love to hear if you gave this recipe a try…did you use storebought or homemade cream soup?