I promise you are going to love this Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe! My mom made this for us for as long as I can remember. It is pure nostalgia!
We enjoy these bars several times each fall and even throughout the year. They do fit into the fall season, not only because of the pumpkin/squash element but also due to the cinnamon.
These bars are light, fluffy, and cake-like. They are a perfect consistency and they are absolutely delicious! I frequently made these when we lived in the Black Hills years ago. When we moved back, I brought them to a get-together and my very dear friend said she had missed them.
Now I may be beating a dead horse here but if you’ve read my take on using squash in place of pumpkin in my instructions on preserving blue hubbard squash, you’ll know this is an excellent candidate to use your squash, (or pumpkin for that matter).
These bars are best baked in a half-sheet pan, (or jelly roll) pan. You can bake them in a 9X13-inch pan but you’ll need to adjust the baking time accordingly.
If you’re looking to dress up your bars, you can sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Also, I recommend you consume these within the first few days of making them. Ours never lasted past the first few days. However, I’m going to experiment with freezing them and I’ll keep you posted on how that goes.
But take my word for it, definitely call them pumpkin bars…squash bars do not sound nearly as appealing!
Without further adieu, here are my family’s pumpkin bars with cream cheese frosting recipe…
Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 ⅔ cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 (15 oz.) can pumpkin or squash or scant 2 cups
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- ½ cup butter softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven for 350°.
- Mix the butter and sugar together until thoroughly mixed.
- Add eggs, mix well. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour
- Pour into a greased 11 X 15 bar pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
To Make Frosting
- While the bars are cooling, cream together the softened cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract with a mixer until an even consistency is reached.
- Slowly mix in the powdered sugar and whip until fluffy.
- Spread frosting on cooled bars.
- Sprinkle bars with cinnamon, if desired.
If you’re interested in more pumpkin/squash recipes, why not check out my pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin bread, or pumpkin cauliflower soup? (all of them work with squash as well!)
4 thoughts on “Pumpkin Bars With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe”