My kids are not big fans of soup or stew but they LOVE this ham and potato chowder.
This soup is creamy and so flavorful in spite of the simple seasoning. The chopped potatoes are so tender and make it a hearty soup that is sure to please. Oh and the dill is an added surprise that adds great flavor to an already yummy concoction.
I usually double this recipe for my family. As written below, it is about 4 servings. You can add additional broth if you prefer to get to your desired consistency.
Lastly, for a vegetarian version and an equally delicious potato chowder, I recommend you simply omit the ham, substitute vegetable broth, and add some cauliflower or other veggies.
Creamy and Hearty Ham & Potato Chowder
- 1 cup ham cubed
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 2 tbsp. celery diced fine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. butter or olive oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup potatoes cubed
- 4 tsp. flour
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 tsp. dried dill
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- salt to taste
- sour cream for garnish
- fresh parsley (optional)
- In a medium stockpot and over medium heat, sauté the ham, onion, celery, garlic & butter until onions are tender. Stir in broth and cubed potatoes and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Only allow the soup to cook at a low boil.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour and milk until smooth. Whisk the flour mixture into the into the stockpot and add the dill and salt-and-pepper.
- Heat thoroughly and allow to thicken.
- To serve, garnish with a dollop of sour cream and fresh parsley if desired.