We’re into soup season friends! This is a super easy and delicious soup! All you need is a crockpot for my creamy chicken & wild rice soup!
What Makes It Easy?
- With the crockpot, you can dump your ingredients in and forget about it (*).
- You do not need to saute the vegetables.
- No need to make a roux for the creaminess.
- You may use thawed or frozen chicken (**).
(*) If you use frozen breasts, you’ll want to cook your soup for about 2 hours before you add your rice. This way, the rice is not overdone.
(**) A word about frozen chicken…according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, it is best to cook raw chicken in the crockpot versus frozen. If you are using frozen chicken, I recommend you let your soup cook for at least 6 hours on low. Your chicken should be tender, shred apart easily, and be well over the 165°F temperature for cooked chicken.
Which Rice for Crockpot Chicken Wild Rice Soup?
I like Lundberg Wild Blend Rice. It has long-grain brown rice, sweet brown rice, wild rice, red rice, and black rice.
Keep in mind that once your soup is finished cooking and you’ve added the cream, it may be very thick. If it is, be sure to add additional water. There is so much flavor in this soup, simple water will do.
We enjoy this soup with a salad and a slice of my no-knead quinoa bread. It’s the ultimate comfort food meal for those cold days.
This makes quite a bit of soup, (about 4 quarts) and the serving size is about 2 cups per person. That said, sometimes I take half of the soup and freeze it for an even quicker meal when we have a busy day.
With all that out of the way, let’s get to making this soup!
Crockpot Hearty and Creamy Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- 4 c. chicken broth
- 2 c. water
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 c. wild rice uncooked
- 2 stalks of celery finely chopped
- 2 carrots sliced
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 ½ tsp. onion powder
- 1 ½ c. heavy cream
- Additional water or broth for proper consistency
- Place everything in a 6-quart crockpot except the heavy cream.
- Cook on low for 4 hours (raw chicken) or 6-7 hours (frozen chicken)
- When finished cooking, shred the chicken and add heavy cream to the crockpot.
- Add additional water or broth if needed.
- Serve with crusty bread.
2 thoughts on “Crockpot Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup”
Where in south Texas? My family is about 1.5 hours south of SA! Small world 🙂
Small world indeed, we are in San Antonio. 🙂